As you probably know by now... I'm starting medical school this year (in July to be exact). I am so excited but also so nervous. I've spent the last month wondering what I need to buy, what will make medical school easier, and what to expect of the coming year. I'm sure I'm not the only one with these worries. To all the other incoming MS1's, I feel you and I'm here to share some of the knowledge I've gathered.

In order to feel a little more at ease, I asked some current medical students what I should buy for my first year of school. This list may not apply to everyone or every program, but it's a good starting point! Also keep in mind that these are just people's suggestions and nothing on here is 100% necessary.



In order to give credit where it is deserved, I am going to use everyone's instagram names so you can find them on IG for more med school advice!

@hailysmedlife (current OMSI): "I definitely think having a boom stand is necessary, or a computer stand. to move your laptop height! Also first aid books"

@Medicaljess (PGYI): "An iPad with an iPad pencil for Notability"

@Busyscrubs (OMSII): "iPad, Netters flashcards, monitor screen for dual screens, standing desk or yoga ball to sit on, big whiteboard, Airpods, cheap scrubs for anatomy, and first aid books"

@noamrwellness: "iPad!"

@ke_bridgestomed (MS4):
"Must-Haves: First aid study book, meal prep containers, crockpot/instapot, colored pens, highlighters, Starbucks gift cards (when your family asks how they can help)
If you're a huge tech person: iPad/tablet to annotate class notes - but personally I'm a hand-writer and didn't use one
Self-Care items are really helpful: face masks, cozy socks, anything from the bath and body de-stress line, access to a gym/workout studio, new lounge wear/gym clothes (aka your new wardrobe)"

@tinydoc2b (MS3): "First aid, laptop/tablet, planner/calendar, comfortable (semi) professional shoes, and blue light glasses"

@becca.mae.med: "I would suggest pens/highlighters and good, comfy headphones!!"

@the.fro.doc (MS2): "First aid, quality pens/highlighters, a laptop stand, and a second monitor"

@sunkissed.n.inmed (MS3): "Well I don't think I could survive without my iPad/iPad pencil, and you definitely need the Netters Anatomy book/Oxford small blue book"

@kristicowsar (OMS4): "My most important thing was a meal prep service. I did not have the time to cook for myself at all anymore. This was my 'luxury' item that saved my health and my grades"

@positively_avoca.do (MS4): "Must-haves in my opinion are business casual outfits, noise cancelling headphones, mini notebooks for your white coat, and muji pens"

@shanonology (OMS1): "Important things are a la[top stand, portable hard drive or iCloud subscription for unlimited storage, a lunch box, google mini + google lights, sleep mask, a good coffee machine, and a doctor's bag to hold your stethoscope and other medical equipment"

@ariananaaseh (MS4): "I loved having an iPad and Apple Pencil. Not 100% necessary but is a great resource and once you get to t he hospital it is very easily portable to study on the go compared to a laptop. The little clinical trinkets you will need you can get closer to third year as you figure out what is necessary vs what is available at the hospital. I got gifted a stethoscope at my white coat ceremony but a lot of classes do group orders!"

There are also plenty other resources out there! Check out these pages for similar posts -
@scrubsandruffles
@thegirlymd
@claudiaegreen

To all my fellow incoming MS1's I hope that helps you get your shopping list started!!

Happy shopping
xoxo

SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© To-Be-MD · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS