Secondary applications have started rolling out which means those of you applying are probably stressing already. Secondaries can seem SO overwhelming, especially if you don't have a good method for organizing them. The key to staying calm in the midst of secondaries is having a plan and an organization system. That being said, here are some strategies that helped me keep track of all of my secondary applications.

***I also want to say that you should NOT stress over schools that have not sent you a secondary application yet. Just focus on the requests you do have and the others will come soon enough!***




1. Flag Emails: Have some way of keeping the secondary requests (and all application related emails) separate from your normal inbox. It is such a pain to go back and find them if they aren't separated in some way. You can flag them, put them in a folder or use whatever method you would like - just make sure they are easily accessible.

2. Keep a list of all websites, passwords, and usernames: I did this in the notes app but a spreadsheet probably would've been more effective. Each secondary will have its own website and login information so you'll definitely need somewhere to write them all down. Don't forget to include the links to the application, otherwise you'll have to go back to the original email each time.

3. Keep a list of when you get each request and when you submit each application: Keeping a list of when you get the request is so important. It will help you determine which order you write your essays in and how much time you have been sitting on each application. Knowing when you submit each application will be helpful when interview invitations start coming out.

4. Have a goal submit date for each secondary application: Secondaries are so overwhelming because they come in waves. You can get multiple secondary invitations in one day so you'll need a plan of when you want to submit each application. IDEALLY,  you want to submit each application within 2 weeks of receiving the secondary invitation. So, if you were to get 3 in one day you might want to try to space them out over two weeks. However, this is just the ideal situation. I definitely did not get all my secondaries done within 2 weeks and that is okay (Shoutout Duke for having the longest secondary in the world). It literally took me over a month (I think) to finish Duke's application (mostly because I was annoyed with how long it was) and I still go an interview invite from them.
            If you're feeling overwhelmed abut submit dates, prioritize schools that are most important to you. I chose to do all UC applications right away because I really wanted to stay in California. That meant pushing some other schools back a bit. I still completed *most* applications in a timely manner but I prioritized the schools that were most important to me. I also shoved super long applications back if I thought they were going to get in the way of other submit dates. Just do what works for you and try to keep yourself accountable.

5. Keep a list of what "stage" each application is in: For example, I would write down if it had been started, written, proof-read or submitted. I also wrote down who was proof-reading (if it was in that stage) so I knew who I was waiting to hear from.

6. Keep a master google doc of all base essays: You can use this sheet to pull sentences, paragraphs or even full essays as secondary applications roll in. Use the essays you've written and re-work them to fit each prompt. Be careful not to get lazy with this - you still need to make sure you are answering the question fully. Don't just copy and paste but definitely don't come up with new essay ideas for each secondary.

7. While people are proof reading your essays, start the next one: Don't be afraid to be working on multiple applications at once! You can have one essay in the proof-reading stage and be working on the next essay. You never want to sit around and wait before you start the next application on your list.

Basically, make a lot of lists or keep a big spreadsheet and you'll be okay. Keep to your goal dates and be efficient with your writing. I hope that was helpful!

Good Luck to those of you in the middle of applications

Happy Writing
xoxo

SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© To-Be-MD · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS