With finals coming up and the MCAT back in full swing, I want to share some of the strategies I use while taking tests. These strategies are things that work for me but keep in mind, everyone is different. Find what works for you and run with it. Although I don't personally struggle with test anxiety, it can be a huge hurdle for those that do. While I don't struggle with specific test anxiety, I do struggle with generalized anxiety. Therefore, my one test anxiety tip comes from that experience.

1. TRUST YOURSELF. Personally, I rarely change an answer after I have gone on to the next question. The only way I will change my answer is if I catch a mistake (if I didn't read the question correctly, didn't do the math correctly, etc). I never change my answer unless I am almost positive that my first choice is incorrect. I strongly feel that if you do not know the answer, your first choice is probably going to be a better guess than whatever you change it to. 

2. Do not agonize over one single question. This is especially important on the MCAT because time is so limited. If it's a difficult question, either mark it to come back to or make an educated guess and move on. There comes a point when staring at a question isn't going to make you any more likely to know the answer. 

3. If you find yourself anxious or spacing out, take a minute to ground yourself. If you aren't pressed for time you can go through the 5-4-3-2-1 method but if you are taking the MCAT you may need something quicker. The 5-4-3-2-1 method involves focusing on your 5 senses. First you notice 5 things you can see, then 4 things you feel, 3 things you hear, 2 things you smell and one thing you taste. If you are more pressed for time I suggest just noticing what you can feel. Either way, the goal is to ground yourself into your surroundings to take your mind off of the anxiety.

4. Avoid studying for the hour before the exam. I know it's tempting to study until the very last second but I think it just makes you anxious. The only time I study the morning of an exam is if I'm going to passively do Anki reviews. If you are taking the MCAT you should NOT study the day before either. Just relax and trust yourself. 

5. If you have the time (you may not for the MCAT), cross out each wrong answer and silently tell yourself why it is wrong. This mostly applies to biology based questions since you can easily do process of elimination. I also find that physically crossing out wrong answers helps me focus on why I am picking a certain answer. 

6. Do NOT worry about the same letter being the answer choice for multiple questions in a row. I've fallen victim to this as well but you should not change your answer choice just because it is the same letter as the question before. Ignore it. This seems silly but I know it can sometimes cause doubt. 

7. Okay so this is not a real tip but if I truly do not know the answer (like if I need to make a blind guess in the dark) I pick C. I remember someone (truly no idea who) telling me it was statistically the best choice (based on what test-writters tend to pick). Truly I do not know if this is true but I've been doing it for years lol.

I hope this helps you develop your test taking skills! 

Good luck on finals

xoxo






SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© To-Be-MD · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS