When Can I Start? - 

As early as you want! Some hospitals require you to be 18 years old but you can always start in clinic if that is the case. You should definitely start as soon as possible if you already know you are interested in medicine!

How Can I Shadow? How Do I ask?

Reach out to doctors you know, cold email doctors in your area or find shadowing programs online! Check out my instagram for an email template to ask for shadowing. 

What Do I Bring -

1. A small notebook and a pen so that you can take notes! Shadowing is a valuable experience and you should be taking some notes throughout the day.

2. If you have a name tag or ID badge, I would definitely wear it!

3. Water bottle and a snack! It might be a long day and you'll be on your feet a bunch.

What Do I Wear? - 

Dress business casual unless the doctor specifically tells you to wear scrubs! If you are shadowing in surgery they will usually give you hospital scrubs to change into but you can always pack a pair just in case! Wear comfortable but professional shoes! Ladies - I would seriously avoid wearing heels because you will be on your feet all day. Trust me, you need comfortable and supportive flats. If you are a medical student, you should wear your white coat!

How Long Should I Stay?

You can ask beforehand. The doctor might leave it up to you in which case you can leave at the lunch break or at the end of the day! Make sure to bring snacks either way though, just in case.

Is There Something I Should Have Prepared Besides Questions? What Should I Learn Beforehand?

Having questions in mind before you go in is great! You typically don't have to know much to shadow but if you want to be proactive you can do a little google search into the doctor and the specialty! 

What Should I Expect My First Time Shadowing?

It really depends on the doctor and the specialty. But, in general expect to follow the doctor around and just listen for the most part. You won't be expected to participate, especially if you aren't a medical student. Hopefully, the doctor will take time to teach you in between patients so be ready to take some notes!

How Do You Organize a Time to Shadow with a Busy Med School Schedule?

So far it hasn't been too difficult. It really depends on the doctor's schedule, especially because some doctors are only on inpatient service one week out of the month. I typically find a morning that doesn't have any required lectures and pick that day. If i miss other lectures I will watch the recordings later. Finding a full free day can be difficult but I consider a free day any day that doesn't have a specifically required session since I can always watch recorded lectures later on.

Any General Tips?

1. If you ever feel light-headed or like you are going to pass out, quietly excuse yourself and sit down immediately. You really don't want to pass out in the OR or in a patient room so it's best to excuse yourself and sit down! If this does happen, do not stress about it. Plenty of medical students end up having to excuse themselves on their surgery rotation. It happens and it's totally okay but just be honest with yourself if you need a break.

2. I will say it one more time...bring snacks, drink water and wear comfortable shoes!!!!!




SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© To-Be-MD · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS